5.19.2010

The Thing






Throughout my printmaking experience, I have always been so concentrated on line and form. For this print, I wanted to "let loose" and experiment with free form. I wanted to create a plate that wasn't  dedicated to portraying a certain image. I wanted to see what would happen and what I could create if there was no rhyme or reason to the process. I used a paint pen as ground, and to create a different type of texture that I hadn't yet explored with. I experimented with etching, and defining negative space.

When printing, I discovered that the negative shape I had created had a life all its own. But what was it, this shape, this thing? I've never really quite decided what exactly it is, so henceforth I dubbed it, "The Thing". This was an experimental plate, proof to myself that I could represent something more figuratively as opposed to literal. In the end, "The Thing" is left open to interpretation and the viewer can decide what this shape means or represents.

No comments:

Post a Comment